So I’m going to a wine and cheese party tomorrow night, and I’ve been put in charge of making something chocolate-y to go with the dessert wines. Something chocolate-y? So many things come to mind, but I’ve been dying to make these chocolate chip cookie dough truffles since I saw them posted on my friend Lucy’s blog last summer.
No matter how you look at it, these truffles fit the dessert specifications of the wine and cheese party perfectly. They’re chocolate-y on the inside and out, they’re just the right size for individual consumption, and they’re going to be delicious with port. Plus, they are egg-less, so they can be eaten freely without the usual fear of salmonella poisoning associated with raw cookie dough.
I wonder if a lack of skill in cake-frosting translates at all in the truffle-coating department? Because I definitely stink at both. I had an embarassingly hard time getting these suckers fully coated in chocolate. It was pretty much impossible to drop the balls of dough inside the bowl of melted chocolate and pull out a fully covered, un-smudged truffle. My fingers kept getting dirty, and anywhere they came into contact with a truffle, the chocolate would be completely smudged. I finally had to spear each dough ball with a skewer, dip it 90% of the way into the melted chocolate, swirl once, slide the whole thing off the stick, then smear another glob of chocolate onto the remaining 10% of the ball for full coverage. Phew. Pain in my ass, for sure.
But, I’m pretty sure all my blood/sweat/tears were worth it. The truffles turned out pretty great! Not very attractive, but definitely delicious. Sinfully delicious, even. Super rich and chocolate-y, but not so over-the-top-sweet that you can’t eat more than a couple in one sitting. I think they’re going to be a hit at the party.
For the recipe, check out Lucy’s blog.
For other amazing dessert ideas, check out Sweets for Saturday.