So, I’d like to introduce a new series of posts called “Dan in the Kitchen,” where I document Dan’s forays into the kitchen. I figure since I’m not always in the mood to cook, but we still need to eat, everyone would benefit from Dan gaining some cooking skills. Until we moved in together, pretty much all Dan ate was buffalo chicken subs from the student center deli, Cheez-its and pasta with bottled spaghetti sauce. To this day, if I’m not around for dinner, or if I don’t feel like cooking, he’ll just have a few beers and a pack of Oreos. So unappetizing, not to mention super unhealthy. I have high hopes that this “Dan in the Kitchen” thing is really going to turn things around for his eating habits. At the very least, this will add some variety to his diet. And, it’s going to be fun to teach Dan how to cook!
Grilled Cream Cheese and Colby Jack Sandwich
– 2 slices bread, buttered on both sides
– 1 slab cream cheese
– 1 slice of colby jack cheese
(1) Heat a pan on medium heat. When the pan is hot, slap on both pieces of bread.
(2) Toast one side of the bread to golden brown, then flip over and layer with cheese — cream cheese on one slice, colby jack on the other.
(3) Cook for about 30 seconds, until cheese is slightly melted, then place one piece of bread on top of the other (cheese to cheese) and press down until the two cheeses are molded together.
(4) When the bread is toasted to your satisfaction, and the cheese is perfectly melty and gooey, take your sandwich off the heat and slide it onto a plate.
** If you find (as we did) that your colby jack doesn’t melt as nicely as you hoped, stick your sandwich in the oven and broil on low heat for about 3-4 minutes.
(5) Cut in half and enjoy hot with a cold soda and some chips.