What is going on with the weather, people? One second it’s 55 degrees and freezing everywhere, the next second I’m running outside with a warm breeze on my face. And, rumor has it that it’s going to be 80 degrees and sunny on Sunday. Looks like summer isn’t giving up without a fight. Or, you know, global warming is changing the progression of seasons as we know it.
When you think of drinks for fall, what springs to mind is probably something that warms you from the inside out — hot apple cider, hot chocolate, mulled wine…A cold, fruity cocktail? Probably not. But, with the sudden return of warm weather, I figured a refreshing drink on the balcony would be the perfect way to wind down our evening. And, since I had half a gallon of apple cider left from our trip to Connecticut a few weeks ago, I could even keep our drinks sort of seasonally relevant. The resulting cocktail was cool, fizzy, tangy, and not too sweet; summery, yet full of fall flavors. Mmm.
Fizzy Apple Cider Punch
Ingredients (for 1 drink)
- 3 ice cubes
- 1 oz rum
- 2 oz Prosecco (or Champagne/sparkling wine)
- 2-3 oz apple cider
(1) Place ice cubes in a tall glass.
(2) Add rum and apple cider (in that order), then top everything off with Prosecco.
(3) Admire the pretty layers of color, then stir everything together. (Or, just pour everything into a shaker.)
(4) Take a sip, and let the tangy sweetness dance across your tongue.