I know hot chocolate is a staple around Christmas, but…I’m just not that big a fan of hot beverages. I feel like liquids should always be refreshing and thirst-quenching, but hot drinks just aren’t like that (incidentally, I also don’t like soup). Every time I drink hot cider or cocoa or tea, my mouth ends up feeling like a gumball that’s been left out in the sun for a couple hours. Don’t get me wrong, I think the drinks are super delicious, but there’s nothing worse than sticky dry mouth.
So, you can imagine my excitement when I discovered frozen versions of popular hot drinks. My first sip of frozen hot chocolate was life changing; the second sip was earth shattering; the third sip was more of a gulp, and after that I was hooked for life. It’s like a chocolate smoothie! Rich and chocolate-y, but not as thick as a milkshake, and so cold and refreshing that the sweetness isn’t cloying. Mmmmmmmm.
That’s why, on the 5th day of Christmas here at Just Putzing Around the Kitchen, my kitchen and blender give to you…frozen hot chocolate with minty whipped cream and caramel.
Frozen Hot Chocolate (Slightly adapted from Live Love Pasta’s recipe)
– 3 tbsp sugar
– 3 tbsp hot chocolate mix or cocoa powder
– 2 tbsp butter or margarine
– 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
– 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
– 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
– 4½ cups ice
– Whipped cream, flavored with mint extract and sweetened to taste
– Caramel sauce
– Mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings
(1) In a double boiler set over gently boiling water, combine sugar, hot chocolate mix, and butter. Stir until butter is melted and a smooth paste forms.
(2) Add semisweet and white chocolate chips. Stir until melted.
(3) Slowly stir in 1/2 cup of the heavy cream. Stir until smooth.
(4) Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
(5) When chocolate mixture has cooled, pour it into your blender.
(6) Add the rest of the heavy cream + ice. Cover and blend until smooth.
(7) Pour into tall, frosted glasses.
(8) Top with minty whipped cream, drizzle with caramel sauce, and sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
(9) Enjoy immediately!
For other great drink ideas, click here.