What do you do when you get home from work, your significant other is unusually hungry for dinner, and most of your cook-able foods are still frozen ‘cuz you forgot to pull stuff out of the freezer the night before? You chop up some beef leftover from the weekend, throw it into a warm flour tortilla with miscellaneous chopped vegetables, store-bought guacamole and sour cream, and have yourself a delicious burrito dinner. Oh, and if your S.O. can last another 5 minutes or so without starving to death, you also whip up a quick queso to drizzle over your burrito and elevate it to a whole other level of deliciousness.
Om nom nom nom nom…!
** Hey, BlogHer likes this recipe too!
Beef Rib Burritos with 5-Minute Queso
- 1 10-inch wheat tortilla
- 1/3 cup guacamole
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup leftover short rib, de-boned and shredded
- 2 tbsp diced onion
- 1/4 jalapeno, diced
- 1/4 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese (I used Sargento 4-cheese blend)
- 1/4 jalapeno, diced
- 1/3 cup canned, diced tomato
- Microwave tortilla for 30 seconds.
- Spread guacamole and sour cream in a strip down the center of your tortilla, making sure not to get too close to the edges.
- Sprinkle meat, onion, jalapeno and tomato in layers over the guacamole/sour cream base.
** Your filling should be in a line across the center of the tortilla — don’t spread it out in a circle.
- Turn your tortilla so that the line of filling is horizontal and parallel to your body. Fold the the left and right edges of the tortilla over so that they are covering the filling about 1 inch on each side.
- Fold the lower edge of the tortilla all the way over the the filling, tuck, and roll the whole thing so that the seam of your burrito is on the bottom. Gently lift your burrito onto a warm plate while you make your 5-minute queso.
- In a pan on medium heat, combine cream and shredded cheese, and stir until cheese is melted and your mixture is uniform.
- Stir in jalapeno bits and canned diced tomato chunks (juice and all), and keep stirring until ingredients are all incorporated and your sauce is as thick as you want it.
** This whole process shouldn’t take you more than 5 minutes.
- Spoon queso generously over your burrito, then dive right in!