I don’t know how hot it is where you guys are, but it was 100 frickin’ degrees today here in Northern Virginia. 100, sunny, and muggy. It was so bad that for once I welcomed the subzero air blasting inside my office — I was cold, but at least with my limbs frozen I could actually withstand the heat once I stepped back outside.
I know all my whining about the heat is super lame and incredibly #firstworldproblems-esque, but guys…I was not built to withstand heat. By the time I dragged my sweaty, sticky ass home after work, I was in no mood to do anything but stand over the AC for the next 8 hours or so. I definitely wasn’t going to even consider cooking dinner. Sweating in front of a stove/oven when it’s hotter than hell? No thanks. Sorry Dan.
Just kidding, of course I fed him. But not before I made us a pitcher of icy cold watermelon lemonade with mint-infused simple syrup. To start with, there’s nothing like chilled watermelon to take the edge off a hot summer night, but when you blend it with mint-infused syrup and lemon juice? Heaven in a glass. Even without alcohol, this lemonade makes it onto my list of top 10 best summer drinks, and I will definitely be making it again…and again…and again.
- 5 to 6 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 sprigs mint
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- In a pot on high heat, bring sugar and water to a light boil until the sugar is completely dissolved and your mixture is clear. Turn off the fire, and throw in your sprigs of mint.
- Allow mint to steep for at least 15 minutes, then remove it from your simple syrup and discard. Cool for about 10 minutes.
- Pour cooled mint-infused syrup into your blender along with the watermelon. Blend until mixture is is smooth and uniform.
- Strain mixture into a pitcher to get rid of the fruit bits.
- Add lemon juice to the pitcher, and stir.
- Serve immediately, over ice.
** Mini watermelon slices make a nice garnish, and are also very useful for stirring. And, if you leave them in your glass, they will soak up lemonade and be a tasty snack when you finish your drink.