Guys, Just Putzing Around the Kitchen hit a pretty big milestone this week — 1 million page views! I know. It’s crazy. One million of anything is pretty insane, but the thought that that many people have stumbled onto my blog since its inception really, really blows my mind.
When first I started this blog, I didn’t really think it would last — I figured that it, like most of my other hobbies, would fall by the wayside as I got busier. Surprisingly, it didn’t! I hit the 1 year mark…then the 2…and now, going into my third year of blogging, my enthusiasm for Just Putzing Around the Kitchen is as strong as ever. I mean, it’s 9pm on a week night, I’ve put in a full day of work, Dan and the cats are clamoring for food, and I’m parked on the couch editing photos. Either I have a problem, or I’m super dedicated. You decide.
Anyway, to celebrate this milestone, I decided to treat myself to a super delicious, super decadent dessert. It had to be chocolate; it had to be so indulgent that I would normally never let myself eat it; and it had to make my eyes roll back with every delicious bite. These brownies fit the bill perfectly — rich, fudgy chocolate, layered with gooey caramel, and topped with melted peanut butter cups and chocolate chips. Doesn’t get better than that, folks! Seriously — so good.
JUST PUTZING AROUND THE KITCHEN COFFEE MUG GIVEAWAY!
I couldn’t have hit this milestone if it weren’t for my readers, so to celebrate this special occasion, I’m hosting a little “thank you” giveaway. If you would like to be the proud owner of a cute, original, one-of-a-kind, Just Putzing Around the Kitchen coffee mug drawn/designed by yours truly, see entry details below! Thanks for reading
- To enter the giveaway, leave me a comment telling me about your favorite brownie.
To earn up to THREE bonus entries, do one (or all!) of the following and leave me separate comments telling me what you did:
(1) Subscribe to my blog using the RSS feed icon in the sidebar (if you are already subscribed, leave a comment saying that!).
(2) Like Just Putzing Around the Kitchen on Facebook.
(3) Follow Just Putzing Around the Kitchen on Twitter.
- Giveaway will end at 5pm next Friday, August 31st.
- 2 sticks butter
- 12 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 8oz bag of mini peanut butter cups
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 14 oz caramel candies, unwrapped
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil, and grease the foil.
- Combine chopped chocolate and butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth, stirring in between intervals.
- Whisk in the sugar, eggs and vanilla until incorporated.
- Add the flour and salt and stir until combined. (If your batter looks too lumpy/curdled, just dribble in a little bit of milk and stir vigorously.)
- Pour half of the brownie batter in the bottom of the prepared pan, and spread it out in an even layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, but keep the oven on, and let the brownies cool while you're making your caramel filling
- To make the caramel filling, combine the caramels and cream in another, smaller, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, and stir. Repeat until the caramels and cream are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Gently spread the caramel mixture over the brownie layer in the baking pan.
- Drop the remaining brownie batter in spoonfuls over the caramel and spread it out evenly across the top. (Spooning the batter in piles over the caramel will make it easier to spread an even layer of batter on top of the caramel. It's OK if you push caramel up to the edges, just keep spreading the batter until it covers the top of the pan.)
- Sprinkle the peanut butter cups and chocolate chips on top of the final brownie layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Transfer brownies to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely.
- Lift the brownies from the pan using the edges of the foil. Remove the foil and cut the brownies into individual squares.
- Enjoy warm, with a scoop of ice cream, or slightly chilled with a glass of milk. (I personally like these room temperature -- I think they are at their fudgiest in this state.)
(Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe)