Much to Dan’s despair, I have a deep, deep love for chain restaurants. Applebee’s, Chili’s, TGI Fridays, Cheesecake Factory, CPK — I’m a fan. Of all of them. I mean…cheap, greasy bar food and fruity blended cocktails…what’s not to love, right? Sadly, Dan does not share my sophisticated tastes. It takes serious wheedling and cajoling before he’ll agree to go to one of those restaurants with me. I think it’s been about…6 months since our last trip. Man, what’s a girl gotta do around here to get a plate of nachos and some $3 margaritas!
The last time Dan gave in to my incessant whining, we went to CPK and had the most amazing appetizer — Avocado Club Egg Rolls. The crunchy morsels were stuffed with crispy bacon, creamy avocado, and gooey Monterey Jack cheese, and served with two savory sauces. We cleared the plate in record time, and I immediately filed the dish away in my mental recipe bank for later. Now that it’s football season and I’m doing football viewing snack posts, I figured this would be the perfect time to roll out this recipe. And guys? They’re just as good as I remembered, even though I changed a few things. Dan took one bite and said “OMG, these are GOOD…real good,” then promptly inhaled the rest of the plate. I’d say that’s a hell of a ringing endorsement.
Chicken Club Egg Rolls with Avocado Ranch Dip (Dip recipe slightly adapted from Kirbie’s Cravings)
- 6 egg roll wrappers
- 2 cups grilled chicken, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 6 strips bacon, crumbled
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 packet Ranch seasoning mix
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 425. Brush a baking sheet with olive oil or butter.
- In a large bowl, mix grilled chicken, diced avocado, and crumbled bacon. Stir gently to mix.
- Lay one egg roll wrapper in front of you. Spoon a generous heaping of filling in a horizontal line across the middle of your wrapper. Leave at least 1/2 inch around the left/right edges filling-free.
- Wet the edges of your wrapper with a little water.
** I keep a shallow dish of water close by so I can dip my fingers in for this purpose.
- Gently lift and fold left/right edges of the wrapper over the sides of the filling. Then, lift the bottom edge of wrapper up over the filling, tuck, and roll (like rolling a burrito). Repeat until all wrappers/filling are used.
- Lay wrapped egg rolls seam-side down on the greased baking sheet. Brush each roll lightly with olive oil or melted butter.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until egg rolls are golden brown/crispy. Remove from oven and allow rolls to cool slightly.
** You could always fry these egg rolls too — the ones from CPK were fried. Those were perhaps a tad crispier, but these baked rolls weighed less heavily on my diet-conscience!
- While your egg rolls are cooling, quickly blend your remaining avocado, Ranch mix, and mayo in a food processor until smooth. Spoon into a small serving dish.
- Slice egg rolls in half diagonally, and serve with your dish of avocado ranch dip.
- Enjoy immediately.