Are you guys excited for football season? Dan is! And if my Facebook newsfeed is any indication, so is everyone else on the planet. Me? Not so much. But I am excited for all the snack foods that football watching entails. Like these Asian-inspired Coca Cola drumsticks, for example. They’re juicy, meaty, savory-sweet, and fall-off-the-bone tender. Best of all, they’re incredibly easy to make — just marinade, sear, and simmer. I’m definitely going to be adding these to my Superbowl recipe round up!
Coca Cola Drumsticks (Slightly adapted from the Honest Vanilla blog)
- 6-8 chicken drum sticks
- ¾ cup Coca-Cola
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Chopped green onion, for garnish
- Place chicken drumsticks in a large bowl, and pour about half the soy sauce over the meat. Toss to coat, and allow drumsticks to marinate for about 15 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- When oil begins to bubble, place your marinated drumsticks in the pan and sear them for 3-5 minutes on each side, until browned.
- Pour in the rest of the soy sauce, including the stuff the chicken was marinating in, into the pan.
- Add garlic, brown sugar, rice wine and Coca-Cola, then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer the drumsticks for about 20-30 minutes, or until all the liquid has reduced to a thick-ish glaze.
- Place drumsticks on a plate, pour the thickened glaze over everything, and garnish with your green onion.
- Enjoy immediately!