Hello hello! Did you guys have a good weekend? Dan and I did! We rented a cabin in Shenandoah Valley for my dad’s birthday, and it was awesome! We fished, we canoed, we hot-tubbed, and we demolished many many bottles of wine. The views were gorgeous, the air was crisp, and a fabulous time was had by all. This kind of camping, I could really get used to.
The only fly in the ointment? I forgot to bring marshmallows. I had chocolate, I had graham crackers…but no marshmallows. I don’t even like marshmallows, but sitting around by the campfire at night just didn’t feel right without them, you know? So, to belatedly make up for my forgetfulness, I decided to make s’mores at home. And not just any old s’mores…s’mores brownies. Rich, chewy brownies topped with crunchy graham crackers, gooey toasted marshmallows, and melted chocolate — I know I say this a lot, but…it really doesn’t get better than this, y’all! Definitely the perfect dessert to top off a perfect weekend.
S’mores Brownies (Adapted from Prevention RD’s recipe)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1-1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 large Hershey’s milk chocolate bar (I didn’t have any so I chopped up some semi-sweet baking chocolate)
- 2 graham crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×9 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Gently stir in dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Lightly tap the pan on the counter top to knock out some of the air bubbles.
- Bake for 25-30minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Pull brownies out of the oven and set your oven to broil.
- While brownies are still warm, sprinkle marshmallows all over the top. Break up your chocolate bar and graham crackers and sprinkle the pieces evenly on top of your marshmallows.
- Stick pan back in the oven, about 4-5 inches from the heat source and broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute to toast your marshmallows.
** Keep a close eye on your brownies to make sure the marshmallows don’t burn.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes, then slice and serve.
- Enjoy brownies warm, with a glass of milk or a mug of hot chocolate.