Guys, can I be honest? I’m not really a big fan of peanuts. Salted peanuts? Bo-ring. Peanut M&M’s? Mehhhh. Peanut butter? No thanks, pass the Nutella. But you know what I can do some serious damage to? Honey roasted peanuts. I loves me some crunchy, sticky, salty-sweet peanuts.
These things are like Pringles — once you pop, the fun don’t stop. Does that analogy work? Now that I see it in print, I’m not so sure. But the point remains — honey roasted peanuts are deliciously addicting. I love feeling the sugary bits crunch between my teeth. And when you throw in a dash of cayenne pepper for some heat to round out the sweetness? Ohhh, it burns so good! Washed down with a cold glass of wine, these are the perfect post-work snack.
Spicy Honey Roasted Peanuts (Slightly adapted from Confections of a Foodie Bride)
- 9 oz cocktail peanuts
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with a silpat, or greased aluminum foil.
- Place peanuts in a medium bowl (large enough to stir the peanuts).
- Combine honey and ground cayenne pepper in a microwave safe bowl, and zap for 30 seconds.
- Pour mixture over the peanuts and toss to coat.
- Add half of the sugar and the salt to the bowl, and stir well.
- Spread peanuts onto the baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to make sure the ones on the edges aren’t burning.
- Let peanuts cool for 2-3 minutes and then stir them again. Make sure to scrape the honey bits from the silpat.
- Sprinkle nuts with 2 tbsp sugar and stir again.
- Sprinkle nuts with the rest of the sugar, and the cinnamon, and allow them to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Break up the bigger chunks of peanuts into smaller pieces.
** To store, place nuts in an airtight container.