Omelette in a Mug

January 26, 2013

So, once again, Dan has abandoned me for the mountains of Tahoe. And guys? It’s pretty great. (Sorry Dan!) The house is quiet,  my Kindle is loaded with new murder mysteries just waiting to be read, I’ve got The Hunger Games playing on TV, and there are two sleepy cats purring up a storm on either side of me on the couch. Life is pretty great.

You know what else is great? Omelettes. Did you know that you can make a perfectly fluffy, savory omelette stuffed with cheese and vegetables and chicken…in a mug…in 5 minutes? And, not only will it be delicious and satisfying, but low cal and healthy as well? I know. It’s amazing. It may even be magic. It’s definitely my new favorite way to brunch.

14 Comments

1. Amanda says:

I am not a morning person, but I think I could handle this! Thank you for sharing this idea.

2. Kirbie says:

Omelette in a mug?! Genius!

3. mjskit says:

Sounds like you had a relaxing weekend! What a great idea! This is perfect for those quick breakfast mornings! Love it!

4. This is a great idea for mornings when in a rush. It’s a great way to get some protein rather than carbs. Awesome! I am going to try it soon.

5. Tracy C. says:

Yummy I will have to try this! I’m also really loving the look or the crispy yams there too! Do you have a recipe you would share for those?! It would be greatly appreciated. :)

• justputzing says:

Hi there! Thanks for your comment. My recipe for the yams is super simple. Just take one yam/sweet potato and cut it into small pieces (as small or big as you want, really), with the skin on. Toss the pieces in a few tbsp of melted butter (I think I used 2 tbsp for 1 large yam), then spread them out on a baking sheet, making sure the pieces touch as little as possible. Sprinkle on salt to taste, and bake for 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees. That’s it!

6. cindy says:

If this had no flour it would be gluten-free. Why add flour and not just reduce the liquid a bit. Just curious.

• justputzing says:

When I wrote this post, I hadn’t started my gluten-free lifestyle yet, so it wasn’t important for me to exclude flour :) But you are correct, you can make perfectly delicious eggs without the milk and flour. In college I used to make lazy “scrambled eggs” all the time by cracking an egg or two into a cup, whisking it with salt/pepper, and then zapping everything in the microwave.