Things I’m currently obsessed with, in no particular order: white and purple nail polishes, this sweater from Nordstrom (I may or may not own it in 3 colors…shhh, don’t tell Dan), cinnamon almonds, chocolate covered caramel corn, wedge booties, the Black Jewels trilogy, my new iPhone case that looks like a wallet, and Trader Joe’s Triple Cream Brie with Wild Mushroom. Yes. I’m into a lot of things right now.
I wouldn’t necessarily be able to pick one single thing on that list that I absolutely couldn’t give up, but that brie…it would be a tough call. Have you ever had it? So good. I discovered it at Trader Joe’s earlier in the year and loved it so much that I started buying (and devouring) a wedge pretty much every three or four days until the day I realized I couldn’t fit into my wedding dress anymore. After that, it was no cheese for Tina, and Tina was very sad.
Fortunately I managed to squeeze my way back into the dress, get hitched, and look good in all my wedding pictures. Mission accomplished, now it’s time for triple cream brie. With mushrooms sauteed in butter. On little roasted potatoes. These particular potato bites aren’t made with my favorite TJ’s mushroom brie because I had eaten all of it already by the time I decided I wanted to do a blog post with it, but they’re delicious anyway. Did I mention that brie + mushrooms = awesome? Throw buttery, crispy roasted potatoes into the mix, and you’ve got yourself an unbeatable recipe. Even Dan, who doesn’t like soft cheeses, agreed that they were tasty. New favorite football watching snack? I think so.
** I meant to crumble crispy bacon all over these too but didn’t have any bacon in the house. Next time….
- 18 oz small yellow potatoes
- 8 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
- Half a wedge of triple cream brie (more, if you want!)
- 4 tbsp butter, separated into 3 tbsp and 1 tbsp chunks
- 1 tsp salt
- Green onions (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Slice off the tips/ends of each potato, then slice the potato in half vertically. (Basically, slice your potatoes in half, then slice off the bottoms so that the halves can balance firmly on your baking sheet.)
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt 3 tbsp butter.
- Add sliced potatoes to your bowl, and toss to coat each piece with melted butter
- Sprinkle salt over the potatoes and toss again to distribute salt evenly.
- Spread buttered and salted potato halves in an even layer on a large baking sheet, making sure they don’t touch if possible. (I put mine on my baking sheet one by one in even rows, but you don’t have to. Just try to space them out on the baking sheet.)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until crispy and golden.
- While potatoes are roasting, saute your mushrooms in a pan with 1 tbsp butter over medium-high heat, until soft and brown. Remove from heat.
- Slice brie into bite-sized chunks roughly the diameter of your potato halves.
- Take your potatoes out of the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Layer each potato half with a chunk of brie and some mushrooms on top of that.
- Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.