Now that the days are getting a little warmer (but not today…wtf, 60 degrees + rain?), I’ve decided to start a new blog series called “Thirsty Thursdays”. Pretty self explanatory – I’m gonna post a drink recipe every Thursday, and give some link love to recipes from other bloggers that I love and/or want to try. This is partially because I’m super lazy lately and drink recipes are easiest to throw together on short notice, but also because I always make a lot of drinks in the summer anyway so a drink series just makes sense…ya know? You know.
For my first Thirsty Thursday post, I present to you: strawberry-pineapple agua frescas. Do y’all know about agua frescas? They are amazingly delicious and so easy to make. The recipe really only involves pureed fruits + water, but the resulting drink is so light, so refreshing, and so perfect for summer. I honestly don’t know why we don’t drink these more often – they’re definitely healthier for me than the Diet Cokes I guzzle all day. More versatile flavor-wise too, since you can make these with literally any kind of fruit. My personal favorite is watermelon, but this strawberry-pineapple combo is pretty kick ass. Give it a try!
You know what else is pretty kickass? These other recipes:
- I wouldn’t begin to know where to find hibiscus or rhubarb, but this Hibiscus-Strawberry Rhubarb Iced Tea looks so good I might just be motivated enough to look around…
- If this smoothie tastes like peach cobbler, why am I not drinking one RIGHT NOW?
- Not wild about thyme in my drinks, but this lemonade could convince me to rethink that.
- It has literally never occurred to me to use cantaloupe in a drink (I just like to eat it straight), but this lemonade and this agua fresca make a pretty convincing argument to give it a shot!
- Is the strawberry-mango combo a thing that’s happening now? If yes, why was I not notified earlier?
- It’s almost summer, so watermelons are getting to be on everyone’s minds. This watermelon slush is definitely on my mind.
- T-2.5 weeks until my race, which means T-2.5 weeks until I can stop training and start enjoying boozy cocktails on a regular basis again. These margaritas are at the top of my post-race drink list!
- 2 cups ripe strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 cups ripe pineapple chunks
- 4 cups cold water, with 1 cup separated out
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Simple syrup (1 cup water + 1 cup sugar, simmered over medium heat until mixture is clear)
- Combine 1 cup water, strawberries and pineapple chunks in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Pour mixture through a strainer or cheese cloth into a pitcher or carafe, to separate out the fruit seeds/pulp. (Note: the original recipe says you can freeze the pulp into ice cubes for later)
- Add your lime juice and the rest of your water to the pitcher and stir.
- Add simple syrup to taste, and stir again.
- Chill until ready to serve. (I actually think this tastes better the next day, especially if you throw some extra fruit into the pitcher to soak overnight)
- Serve over ice and garnish with mint leaves and extra fruit (if desired).
(Adapted from the Little Epicurean’s recipe)