Happy Thursday, everyone! Sorry this week’s Thirsty Thursday post is a little late…I am a lazy slacker, and sometimes it’s hard to get motivated to make drinks + take photos + write a witty post. But hey, there are 2 more hours left in the day, so it’s all good! Right? Right.
Today’s post is inspired by a drink I saw on Buzzfeed the other day called the “Madeira Red,” which is made from pomegranate lemonade mixed with Sprite. I was immediately intrigued, because I feel like you don’t often see drinks made with pomegranate. I’ve definitely never seen (or tasted) pomegranate lemonade.
Unfortunately, there was no Sprite in the house. There was, however, half a bottle of club soda in the back of the fridge that still had some fizz to it. So…spritzers, it was! And guys? So yummy. I don’t know if you can necessarily say they’re refreshing – I don’t usually find fizzy drinks to be thirst-quenching (except Diet Cokes…mmmm). They are tongue-ticklingly delicious, however. Tart, sweet, and bubbly! Like a fruity soda. And, the pomegranate juice was surprisingly mild and worked really well in the lemonade. I am definitely going to try working it into more drinks this summer…
Other drinks I want to try this summer:
- Is there anything better than a tall, frosty glass of iced tea on a hot summer day? Actually yes – peach iced tea. Yum!
- Did you know that you could roast fruit??? I did not. This roasted strawberry lemonade is literally blowing my mind right now.
- I’m a huge sucker for retro diner stuff. Can’t you just see yourself at a gleaming counter with friends, legs wound around the legs of your barstool, slurping down one of these old fashioned chocolate ice cream sodas?
- Every morning Dan and I have green smoothies for breakfast (yay, health), but I could definitely be persuaded to swap those out for these or these instead.
I think the last time I had a slushie was at the movies sometime in college. It was blue-raspberry flavored, gave me the most awful brain freeze, and was just generally kind of gross. These watermelon-peach slushies look way tastier and more enjoyable.
A cocktail that tastes like cherry pie??? Sign me up!
- Last summer we drank a lot of mojitos – partly b/c they are delicious, but also ‘cuz we underestimated the growing potential of our mint plants. We’re down to just one plant this year, but it’s as prolific as ever. Can’t wait to use them to make watermelon-blueberry mojitos and mango mojitos!
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4-6 cups water
- 1 cup simple syrup (1/2 cup sugar + 1 cup water simmered over medium heat until mixture is clear)
- Club soda
- Lemon slices (for garnish)
- In a large pitcher or carafe, combine your pom juice, lemon juice, and simple syrup.
- Add 4 cups water and stir well (if you prefer your lemonade sweeter/more concentrated, go with less water, if you like it less sweet add more - definitely adjust this to your own tastes!)
- Fill drinking glasses with ice.
- Fill glasses half way with pomegranate lemonade, then top off each glass with club soda.
- Stir, garnish with a thin slice of lemon, and enjoy!