Spinach and artichoke dip is one of our favorite restaurant appetizers. Isn’t it everyone’s? It’s creamy, it’s savory, it’s delicious no matter what you eat it with…and, it has vegetables in it so you can inhale a whole bunch of dip without feeling too bad about yourself. Never mind that it’s also full of sour cream and cheese – the spinach and artichokes totally balance all that out.
Some day, when I have kids, this is what I’m going to serve them every day to make sure they get their daily serving of vegetables. They’re going to be chunky and have super high cholesterol/clogged arteries, but they’ll be positively brimming with fiber!
Just kidding guys, that’s not going to happen. Have you seen Dan? There’s no way my kids will be chunky, no matter how much cream I throw at them. (Also, I’m not really going to let them eat spinach & artichoke dip everyday.)
If I could get away with it, I’d eat this dip every day. I’ve already eaten it for every meal today. It’s just so creamy and tangy and toothsome…and so easy to eat with a big ol’ pile of crunchy, salty chips! Not to mention, the recipe makes an obscene about of dip, so if I don’t eat it for every meal we may never see the end of it.
In retrospect, this would have been better for a bigger party with more eaters (Superbowl, I’m lookin’ at you), but in my defense, a bunch of our guests dropped out at the last minute after I had already gotten the crock pot going. It’s a safe bet that we’ll be eating chips/dip for dinner a lot this week…
Healthy living, that’s our motto!
Did I mention how easy/low-fuss this recipe is? All you have to do is throw a bunch of super simple ingredients into your Crock Pot and walk away for a few hours. While I was waiting for my dip to cook, I made two smoothies, a tray of candied walnuts and batch of fudge, then caught up on a few episodes of Top Chef Boston (are you guys watching? I’m really loving Katsuji…). Aside from occasional stirring, I didn’t have to touch the dip at all! And yet, in what felt like no time at all, we were mowing down on amazingly delicious, hot dip in front of the TV. That’s a good recipe, y’all!
- 1 (9.2-oz) jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 (16-oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 8 oz sour cream
- ½ largel onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- Pinch of black pepper
- Place artichoke hearts, spinach, sour cream, onion, garlic, Parmesan, milk, mayo, vinegar and pepper into a slow cooker. Stir until well combined.
- Scatter cream cheese cubes on top of everything.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 2 hours.
- Uncover and stir your mixture until cream cheese is well incorporated.
- Cover and cook on high heat for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips and/or toasted bread.
(Slightly adapted from Damn Delicious’ recipe)