Happy April 15th, everyone! Have y’all filed your taxes yet?
Dan took care of ours earlier in the week, which is great for me because filing taxes is one of my least favorite things to do. Even with TurboTax guiding me along, filling out my tax forms every year is amazingly stressful. In the back of my mind I’m constantly thinking “OMG, what if I do this wrong and the IRS comes after me?!?!?” That, and “what the hell, why do I not qualify for student loan deductions anymore???” (I know why, I’m just not happy about it.)
Anyway, lucky for me Dan enjoys doing tax stuff, and now that we file jointly as a married couple I just let him take care of everything. I hand him all my forms, go play with the cats, and voila – taxes are done. It’s a wonderful partnership, as you can see.
In honor of Tax Day, the greatest relief day (unless you owe the IRS a bunch of money, in which case it’s the greatest stress/anger day), I’ve teamed up with Blue Chair Bay to give you guys (1) a delicious cocktail recipe using one of their premium-blended rums, and (2) a chance to win a free bottle of rum in the flavor of your choice.
These rums, which were created by singer-songwriter Kenny Chesney and inspired by his time in Caribbean, come in four four flavors – Banana, Coconut, Spiced Coconut and White. Because I am a fiend for rum cocktails, I already had bottles of coconut and white rum on my bar cart. In the interests of trying new things, I asked the company to send me either the banana or spiced coconut flavors.
They sent me a nice bottle of their spiced coconut rum, which turned out to be absolutely delicious. Smooth and coconut-y, with a kick of spice on the back end. Very drinkable. Dangerously drinkable.
When I started thinking about what kind of cocktail to make with my spiced coconut rum, I immediately decided that I would go with something fruity and tropical. Partly because coconut just works in tropical drinks, and partly because we’ve started planning our trip to Hawaii and my mind is full of palm trees, white sand beaches and island drinks.
In the end, I decided on Lava Flow cocktails, which are essentially a blend of pina coladas and strawberry daiquiris. The cocktail is so-named because of it’s appearance – when the pina colada and strawberry daiquiri portions of the drink are combined, it kind of looks like lava swirling/flowing through your glass.
It’s very cool looking, and also delicious – I mean c’mon, it’s basically just two of the tastiest cocktails ever invented combined into one extra delicious, extra boozy concoction. I’ve made them twice this week (pictures didn’t turn out well the first time…also, any possible excuse to make blender drinks on a week night!), and both times they’ve disappeared in record time. Dan’s exact words as he slurped down his second Lava Flow last night: “This is like the world’s most delicious smoothie. With alcohol in it.”
For other great rum cocktail ideas, check out the Blue Chair Bay Rum recipe page! And for your chance to win a free bottle of rum and try some Lava Flows for yourself…
BLUE CHAIR BAY RUM GIVEAWAY
** Congrats to Liz for winning the giveaway!!
The folks at Blue Chair Bay have generously offered (FYI, I’m going to pretend that it’s Kenny Chesney personally doing this) to give one lucky (and randomly selected) U.S. reader a bottle of their premium blend rum, in the flavor of their choice. Blue Chair Bay will handle the shipment of the rum once a winner is selected.
NOTE: because this giveaway involves alcohol, the following restrictions apply:
- Must be 21 to enter.
- Residents of AL, AR, DE, GA, HI, ID, IL, IA, KY, MA, MI, MS, NH, NV, ND, OK, PA, RI, SD, TX, UT, VA, WA and WV may not enter, as these states prohibit the importation of alcohol.
- To enter the giveaway, leave me a comment telling me what flavor rum you would most like to try, and what you’d do with it.
To earn up to SIX bonus entries, do one (or all!) of the following and then come back and leave me separate comments below telling me what you did. Comments = entries, so if you do any of the things below but don’t leave me comments telling me you did it, it will not count.
(1) Subscribe to my blog via email or RSS feed (if you are already subscribed, leave a comment saying that!).
(2) Like Just Putzing Around the Kitchen on Facebook.
(3) Follow Just Putzing Around the Kitchen on Twitter.
(4) Follow Just Putzing Around the Kitchen on Instagram.
(5) Pin any picture from this post onto Pinterest.
(6) Like Blue Chair Bay Rum on Facebook
- Giveaway will end at midnight on Wednesday, April 22nd. The winner will be notified by email. NOTE – if you do not respond to my email within 24 hours (with mailing address, etc., as necessary), I will randomly select another winner.
- ½ cup coconut rum
- ½ cup light (white) rum
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- 1 medium banana, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups crushed ice
- Fresh pineapple wedges, for garnish
- In a blender, combine coconut rum, light rum, and strawberries. Blend until smooth (consistency should be like a thick, icy smoothie).
- Divide strawberry rum puree among 4 tall serving classes. Set aside.
- Rinse out your blender. Add pineapple juice, cream of coconut, banana slices, and crushed ice. Blend until smooth.
- Slowly pour icy pineapple coconut mixture into each glass w/ the strawberry rum puree. The red mixture will evenly swirl with the white mixture.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge and serve immediately.
(Recipe very slightly adapted from The Chic Site)