I think I am one of the few people in America who doesn’t like popcorn. But honestly, no matter how much butter and salt you put on the stuff, it still tastes like styrofoam. Styrofoam that gets stuck in your teeth and turns your mouth into a salt lick. Yuck.
I’ll tell you what I can’t get enough of though — caramel corn. Caramel makes everything taste good, and it transforms boring, styrofoam-y popcorn into sweet, crunchy kernels of awesomeness that no one can resist. I dare you to try eating just a few pieces — betcha can’t do it! Caramel corn is seriously addicting. I’m making a huge batch for my parents’ Christmas party this year, and I have a feeling the guests are going to love it.
Despite it being one of my favorite snacks in the whole world, I never seem to buy caramel corn until the holidays. I think it’s because I subconsciously believe that something so magical tasting can only exist during Christmas. Silly, I know. But hey, now that I have the recipe, I can make caramel corn for myself whenever I want it. You can too. You’re welcome
“On the 11th day of Christmas, my kitchen gives to youuuuu…”
Caramel Corn (Slightly adapted from the Curvy Carrot’s recipe)
- 20 cups popped popcorn (I went to BJs and bought an economy-sized box of Orville Redenbacher’s plain popcorn)
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
(1) Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place popped corn in a large bowl.
(2) Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
(3) Add the corn syrup and brown sugar, mixing well.
(4) Bring and maintain mixture to a boil without stirring for 5 minutes.
(5) Add the salt, baking soda, cinnamon and vanilla to the boiling mixture and immediately remove from heat, stirring rapidly.
(6) Carefully pour the hot liquid over the popcorn. Stir/toss gently to coat.
(7) Transfer coated popcorn to a deep baking dish.
(8) Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
(9) Let cool completely, and enjoy!!!