Asian-Style Stir Fried Green Beans

July 13, 2012

Guys, studying for the bar sucks. I’ve been at it in earnest for about a week now, and not only do I have unbelievable neck/back cricks from hunching over my notes all day, I’m starting to have dreams about the law. It’s not a fun time. Nobody should wake up in a panic over the rules of civil procedure.

With the 12-hours-a-day study regime I’ve put myself on, my eating habits have taken a serious dive. Rocky Road ice cream for breakfast, cold leftover Chinese for lunch, and cheese for dinner. Mmm, fats, carbs, and no vegetables. Brain food!

After a few days of chronic stomach unhappiness, I finally gave in and carved out some time to cook a semi-nutritious lunch for myself. Thanks to the 45-hour power outage we had last weekend our fridge is basically empty, but I managed to find a frozen green beans in the back of the freezer. Hello, Asian-style stir fry.

Growing up, I loved it when my mom made stir fried green beans for dinner. The slightly burnt, super garlicky, crunchy/soggy pieces at the bottom were my favorite — my dad and I would fight over those. ┬áThese green beans don’t taste exactly like my mom’s, but are easy to make, tasty, and perfect in a pinch. Eaten with some brown rice, kimchi, and chunks of Asian roast pork (recipe forthcoming…maybe), they were just what I needed to face down the rest of my day holed up with my notes.

12 Comments

1. mjskit says:

I love this green bean recipe! My mom use to make something like this but its been so many years, I totally forgot about them. Thanks for bringing back this recipe and sharing it! Now I need to go get some beans!

• justputzing says:

Yeah, green beans are such an unassuming vegetable, I feel like they get forgotten sometimes. They’re so delicious though!

2. Jo says:

This looks delicious and your pictures are amazing. Would love for you to share your photos with us at foodepix.com.

3. Molly says:

This looks so delicious and convenient to make! I’m also suffering from a lack of vegetables…

4. Sarah says:

I LOVEEEEE green beans!

5. I’m always looking for great taste in a simple recipe. It’s nice to see I’m not the only food blogger using some frozen veggies. Good luck on the bar.

6. Tim Powell says:

I’ve made these at least 5 times this year. I now cheat a bit and toss the coated green beans on a sheet pan and broil at 400. Just don’t forget to coat the pan in cooking spray or veg. oil first! They come out great and don’t require as much hands on (not sure this works for frozen, but works great for fresh). I served them last night with Ga Kho-Vietnamese Caramelized Spicy Chicken (link: http://www.girlcooksworld.com/2012/07/ga-kho-vietnamese-caramelized-spicy-chicken.html#comment-47123) Outstanding! Thank you.