OK, if you want to get really technical, these “flowers” are pretty much just bastardized crab rangoons without crab meat. I didn’t think that was an appropriate or appetizing title, though, so I fancied up the name a little. But, just as a rose by any other name smells as sweet, a rangoon by any other name is just as delicious…especially when crispy bacon and sauteed onions are involved.
Crispy, cheesy, gooey, bacon-y…these wonton flowers are amazingly delicious. They are the perfect appetizer, snack, and/or drunk food. And, if you eat eight in a row like I did…they make a pretty satisfying (if slightly unhealthy) dinner too.
Crispy Bacon and Onion Wonton Flowers
– 1/2 cup ricotta
– 4 oz cream cheese
– 4 strips bacon
– 1/4 cup diced onion
– Salt/pepper to taste
– 1 package wonton skins
– 1/2 cup water for sealing
– Vegetable oil for frying
(1) In a pan on mid-high heat, cook your bacon until crispy. Set bacon aside on a paper towel to cool and drain. When cool, chop each strip into small pieces.
(2) Discard all but 1 tbsp of your bacon grease. Saute your diced onion in the remaining grease. Cook until onions are translucent and soft. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
(3) In a medium sized bowl, mix cream cheese and ricotta until smooth. Season with salt/pepper to taste.
(4) Add your chopped bacon and onion. Stir until well combined.
(5) Spoon about 1 tsp filling into the center of each wonton skin.
(6) Dip a finger into water, and run it along the edges of the wonton skin, as close ot the filling as possible.
(7) Place the wonton skin in the palm of your skin, turning it so that it looks like an equal-sided diamond rather than a square. Pinch the upper and lower edges of the diamond together with your thumbs/pointer fingers, and bring your hands together so that the 4 edges create a flower shape. Make sure you seal the edges tight. Repeat until your filling and wrappers are gone.
(8) In a large, thick-bottomed pan (or a fryer), heat 2 inches of vegetable oil until hot and bubbly. Drop wonton flowers in three at a time, and cook until golden brown.
(9) Enjoy with a cold beverage.