Orange-o’-Lanterns

October 22, 2012

I’ve decided that I can’t be bothered to carve pumpkins this year. Too much effort, too much mess, and not enough of an audience to justify the blistered fingers (no trick or treating in our building, boooo!). Plus, who needs jack-o’-lanterns when you can make these adorable, versatile orange-o’-lanterns? The innards are easier to eat and more delicious than pumpkin guts, the peel is soft and easy to carve, and you can use them as cups for just about anything you want! Candy, pudding, popcorn…the sky’s the limit, people.

Happy almost Halloween!

24 Comments

1. kirbie says:

Love this idea! If I ever have a Halloween party I totally want to do this.

• justputzing says:

Thanks! Just be sure to leave a thick layer of that white pith stuff — I cut one of mine too thin and the oils from the peel melted my M&M’s!

2. Tisa Thomas says:

These are so cute. I am def pinning this one. Thanks!

3. Melissa says:

So cute Tina!!!! Great idea :)

4. Good morning~I have featured this recipe on my blog today for my Halloween Ideas post. I have linked this recipe to your original post so that my readers will be forwarded to your site. Thank you for allowing me to share! Here is the link: http://carriesexperimentalkitchen.blogspot.com/2012/10/halloween-ideas.html

5. Meg says:

Hey!
    I wanna do this for Halloween, thanks for the idea :)
    I wonder if anyone has an idea of what we could do with the fruit?
    Thanks!
    Bye

• justputzing says:

I just ate my oranges as I was cutting them, but you could also probably make a fruit salad, or juice the fruit for breakfast?

• Arne says:

a nice idea if you are going to make a punch is to cut the orange fruit pieces in to smaller pieces, get two latex gloves already cleaned out. fill the gloves with the pieces and water. freeze it and let it float in the punch to keep it cool, it will look like witch hands floating around. you can also mix the water with another colour cold drink to give it a more visible and scary look

6. Shawanna says:

This will be so darn cool to do with my kids !! Awsome idea thanks ;)

7. glenda kae hines says:

what a great and cool idea would luv to share with my friends (if okay) thank you

8. tracey c says:

I have made these before for school treats. Cut the oranges in bite sized pieces and mix with grapes and apples and fill oranges for fruit cup. Cut a slit in the “lid” of the orange o’ lantern and slide a green spoon in (spoon part down so when you put the lid on it’s in the orange) for stem. I think it was in Family Fun magazine.

9. tracey c says:

Drying them in the oven like you do orange slices might be neat.

10. These are adorable!! pinning!

11. elizabeth says:

Tks, Always looking for new ideas for grandchildren and Halloween parties.