It’s strawberry season, everyone! The pick-your-own-fruit farms are open for business, the grocery store shelves are loaded with fat, juicy, sweet berries begging to be eaten, AND…
…my strawberry plants have started to bear fruit! Do you know how exciting that is? SO EXCITING! Our little balcony garden is a success! [Squeal!]
To be fair, I’ve only been able to harvest one berry from my garden so far. There are at least four more on the way, but that’s really not enough to do more than tingle a person’s taste buds. So, to satisfy my warm-weather craving for strawberry-based foods and drinks, I went to the store and picked up 3lbs of strawberries.
3lbs of fruit may a be lot, but we’ve already put a serious dent in our stash. We ate them at brunch, after dinner, and in many, many blended beverages. These mojitos were enjoyed as a night cap on Sunday night, and they were delightful. Light, fruity, and refreshing — they were the perfect drink to help us wind down a lazy weekend.
** Hey look — The Daily Meal liked these mojitos too!
Ingredients: (Makes 1 cocktail)
- 6 strawberries, hulled
- 8 mint leaves
- 1.5 oz simple syrup (Bring 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup water to a boil, until all sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool. Measure out 1.5 oz for single cocktail.)
- 1 oz rum
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 oz club soda
- In a blender, blend together strawberries and simple syrup.
- In the bottom of your drinking glass, gently muddle together mint leaves, rum, and lime juice.
- Add strawberry puree and club soda, and stir.
- Add a few ice cubes, then garnish with a sprig of mint and some strawberry slices.
- Enjoy immediately.
** If you want a clear cocktail like mine, mix ingredients in a pitcher, then pour it into your cocktail glasses through a strainer to catch all the blended strawberry bits.