Guys, it’s Thursday already. How did that happen? Where did the week go? Thank god I had the foresight to make a big pitcher of watermelon sangria on Tuesday because, as always, this week’s Thirsty Thursday really snuck up on me big time. Which is why this post is late…again. Some day I will be super organized and on top of things and do a Thirsty Thursday post early in the day…like, more than 3 hours before midnight. Some day I will be a responsible grown up.
Speaking of responsible grown up things to do…Dan and I ran our first 10K last weekend! It was surprisingly not terrible. Despite having to wake up at 5am to run a bunch of miles with 2300 random strangers, we felt good. Going in, our goal was to (1) run all 6.2 miles without stopping (something we hadn’t accomplished on our training runs), and (2) finish in less than an hour (maintaining a 9:30 pace). In the end, not only did we manage to run the whole thing, but we ran it at an average 8:38 pace! Almost a whole minute faster per mile than we have ever run! Wooooooooooooo!
To celebrate this this obviously spectacular accomplishment, I am allowing myself to welcome booze back into my life. We started with wine and cocktails at Dan’s cousin’s wedding this weekend, followed by drinks at our favorite local beer garden, and now we’re sipping on delicious watermelon sangrias. ‘Cuz it’s been crazy hot around here this week, and hydration is must. This sangria is the perfect adult summer refreshment – boozy enough to give you a nice buzz that’ll take your mind off the heat, and the juicy watermelon chunks have high enough water content that you can have a few glasses without feeling too dehydrated. And, it tastes kind of like a boozy watermelon Jolly Rancher, so…wins all around!
Other delicious drinks that I’m going to use to cool off and “stay hydrated” this summer:
- This is basically just a boozy chocolate milkshake for adults, and I love that.
- Apple martinis are terrible, but apple mojitos on the other hand…super intriguing. Must try this.
- I’m on board with any cocktail with the word “swizzle” in it, especially if they look this good.
- Love mango. Love moscato. Love everything about this drink.
- Hot as it is outside, I want to just live inside a watermelon. If that is not possible, I will settle for a watermelon martini.
- I am currently obsessed with cherries, so these drinks look mighty appealing.
- If you care as little about the World Cup about me, but want to keep up appearances for your spouse’s sake, I’m convinced endless caipirinha’s are the way to go. Because, you know…Brazil.
- This cocktail makes me want to be back on my honeymoon, bumming around the beach in Jamaica.
- Every good Asian loves lychees. I’m a good Asian. I want this martini. NOW.
- Grilled fruit? I am so fascinated by this concept. And the Foodie Bride would never lead me astray with one of her margaritas, so I’ll definitely be making these soon.
- ¼ a medium-sized watermelon, cut into small chunks (For even more watermelon flavor, you can use more watermelon than this. Also, you can keep the rind on like me, or take it off)
- 1 bottle blush wine
- 1 cup vodka
- A day or two before you plan to serve this, throw all your ingredients in a large pitcher.
- Stir to combine, then stick your pitcher in the fridge to chill until you're ready to serve.
- To serve, fill glasses with ice or chilled watermelon chunks, and pour sangria over the ice/fruit.
- Enjoy, immediately!
Chris @ Shared Appetite says
I totally am loving all your thirsty thursday posts!! This watermelon sangria looks so refreshing! Perfect for these hot sunny days we’re having 🙂 Pinning!