Happy Sunday, everyone! Otherwise known as “OH MY GOD IT’S FINALLY TIME FOR FOOTBALL” day here in our house. In case you’re wondering, that’s all Dan. He’s been bellowing “TINA! Why isn’t it Sunday yet?!?! I want to watch footballllll!!!!” (basically verbatim) since Monday. Monday.
As you can imagine, it’s been a fun week for me.
Football season is great. Playoffs are even more great. So great. I love it.
As I type this, the Patriots game is on TV, Dan and I have our jerseys on (Brady for him, Gronk for me), our guests are settled in on the couch with snacks, and at least one set of eyes is drilling holes in the TV screen.
So far so good. One touch down for us, but I’m guessing something bad just happened because Dan is frowning. Wait no, he’s smiling again. And now he’s wincing. But I’m almost positive someone on the other team just dropped the ball, so that’s probably a sympathy wince.
Dear football gods, please please please let our team win. The next few days will be so terrible (for me) if we lose.
Because I don’t want to jinx us, I’m going to stop talking about the game and talk instead about today’s Snacktastic Sunday recipe.
Funny thing about this chocolate fruit dip – originally, it was supposed to be an onion dip. Dan’s aunt Patty made a fabulous onion dip for this year’s Christmas Eve party, and she just sent me the recipe. I was super excited to make it for tonight’s game, but I had so much other cooking planned for this weekend that I just couldn’t bring myself to do it when football time rolled around.
Maybe I’ll make onion dip next week. Keep your eyes peeled, folks!
In the mean time, my guests and I are enjoying the hell out of this super delicious chocolate fruit dip. Do you like chocolate frosting? If yes, then you’ll like this dip – it’s fluffy, luscious, and full of rich chocolate flavor. Plus, it’s a bit healthier than actual cake frosting, so you can feel better about eating a lot of it.
And did I mention how easy it was to throw together? Just melt some chocolate, whip some cream, and mix it all together with softened cream cheese, vanilla, Greek yogurt, and powdered sugar. Voila – instant delicious dip that you can eat with all kinds of fresh fruits, marshmallows, graham crackers, or…a spoon.
This might be my new favorite game day snack! Can’t wait to try other flavor variations…
Happy football watching, everyone! Go Patriots!
Thanks for reading Just Putzing Around the Kitchen! To stay up-to-date on what I’ve got going on in the kitchen and what’s coming next on the blog, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or Pinterest, or subscribe via e-mail (in the sidebar) to get new recipes sent directly to your inbox.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup light whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 2-3 tsp powdered sugar (or more, to taste)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Strawberries (for dipping)
- Sliced apples (for dipping)
- Sliced bananas (for dipping)
- Place chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds, then stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds, then stir again until chocolate is smooth. (If necessary, microwave in additional 15-second increments, stirring between each, until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.) Set melted chocolate aside and allow to cool.
- Pour whipping cream into a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, cream together cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add vanilla, Greek yogurt and melted chocolate, and whisk vigorously until light and fluffy.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into your chocolate mixture until no streaks remain.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Enjoy with plenty of fresh fruit!
(Adapted from Five Heart Home’s recipe)