Blackberry Mojitos

Kids always think that being grown up is soooo glamorous. Adults can do what they want, eat all the candy and junk food they want, stay up as late as they want, etc. And yeah, I guess that’s all true. But, being an adult is also expensive. Really expensive. Like… “holy crap, how did this routine car inspection turn into $1800 worth of repairs” expensive. Yeah. Being a grown up can be a real bummer sometimes.

Needless to say, after the car-repair fiasco at the dealership this morning, Dan and I were feeling a little tense. Not to promote the use of alcohol to deal with stress or anything, but…I was really looking forward to having a drink when we got home. Since there were so many blackberries and limes leftover from the margaritas I made last night, I decided to throw together another breezy, fruity, summer cocktail

Mojitos are one of my favorite cocktails, not only because they’re delicious but also because they require so few ingredients and are so easy to make. Just crush a few mint leaves in the bottom of a glass with some sugar, lime juice, and rum, add club soda, and stir. Simple. Beautiful.

Sushi adores Dan.

After a few mojitos and some homemade nachos, we’re definitely feeling a lot better about things. As I type this, Dan and Sushi are snoozing on the couch next to me. I’m going to join them in a second, but I wanted to share this mojito recipe with you guys first. Enjoy, and happy Saturday!

Blackberry Mojitos
Author:
Recipe type: Cocktail
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Yields: 1 cocktail

Ingredients
  • 6 fat blackberries + more for garnish
  • 8 mint leaves
  • 1 oz rum
  • 1 to 2 tbsp sugar (Depends on how sweet you like your mojitos. I like mine sweeter so I used 2 tbsp in mine, but Dan likes his a little more tart so I only put about 1.5 tbsp in his. Alternatively, you can use simple syrup, which will give you a more concentrated and uniform sweet flavor. I've been using that in all my cocktails lately and I think they are even more delicious this way. Just bring ½ cup sugar and 1 cup water to a simmer over medium-high heat, until sugar is completely dissolved. Allow syrup to cool, and then measure out however much you want to use for your drink. I suggest starting with ½ to 1 oz per drink and going from there.)
  • ⅓ oz lime juice
  • 2 oz club soda
Directions
  1. In the bottom of your drinking glass, muddle/crush together blackberries, mint leaves, sugar/simple syrup, rum, and lime juice.
  2. Add some ice cubes, then pour in club soda and stir.
  3. Garnish with a few whole blackberries and a sprig of mint.
  4. Enjoy immediately.

Comments

1. Tdlinks says

Yummy recipe! Thanks for sharing! Poor Dan must have really enjoyed his drink. He forgot to zip up his pants before his snooze with Sushi! ;)

2. says

There’s almost nothing better than a good mojit. I think blackberry would be perfectly suited mojito flavors. Once I had one with raspberry and I though that was the best I’d ever had, but THIS sounds even better.

• justputzing says

Thanks! I’ve never had a raspberry mojito but it sounds delicious. Another flavor I had recently is black cherry, and it really worked too. I’ll have to reproduce that at home soon.

3. says

This is perfect timing…I bought mint and blackberries this weekend and I have enough leftover for a cocktail or two! Sorry to hear about the car repairs – this adult business is a bit over rated at times! Have a good week!

4. says

I like the recipe that you’ve shared! From its color really lively! Very nice to see and look for those kind of beverage with bright in color. Moreover, I would like to try that one someday!

5. michelle says

So I can’t speak about the drink (although I just Pinned the recipe, so it WILL be happening), just wanted to tell you how UHMazing your photos are for this post! Whether it’s wrong or right, I am a hugely visual person and am so much more inclined to make recipes and follow blogs of people who photograph their ‘stuff’ well. Could be the budding photographer in me, as well. Anyway – your pictures are gorgeous and totally made me want to peruse your website more — which I’m currently doing! Bravo!!

• justputzing says

Thank you so much! You just made my day with your comment :) FYI, if you do make this recipe, instead of using straight sugar like I did, I would suggest using simple syrup instead. I’ve been doing that with my mojitos lately and I feel like the sweetness is more uniform and more concentrated that way (which I love). So, just bring 1 cup water and 1 cup (or 1/2 cup if you don’t like things too sweet) to a simmer on the stove until sugar is completely melted, allow that to cool, then measure out 1/2 to 1 oz of the syrup per drink based on taste. Let me know if you try it!

6. Ami says

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Made these on a group camping trip and they were AMAZING!! I’ve never seen such a happy group of campers! This is my new favorite drink!! :)

• justputzing says

Awesome! I’m so glad you liked it :) And making mojitos on a camping trip is genius…I’m going to have to do that the next time I go camping!