OK, stay with me on this one, guys. Chocolate beer batter cupcakes. Maple bacon cream cheese frosting. Crunchy maple-glazed bacon bits. I know it all sounds strange (and a little wrong) on paper, but if you can wrap your mind around all the components and work up the nerve to take the first bite…these cupcakes are the bomb. Srsly, they will literally blow your mind.
If you’re a fan of “2 Broke Girls”, you probably recognize these cupcakes from the episode where Max and Caroline go on Spring Break. While house sitting for some clients, the girls make friends with a beer brewer and bacon maker; shenanigans ensue, and Max’s Beer Batter Maple Bacon Spring Bacon Cupcakes are born. Spoiler alert — they’re so good even Martha Stewart likes them. (“You know who would love these? Stoners” – Martha)
With that kind of endorsement, is it surprising that I wanted to try them for myself? The show didn’t provide any kind of recipe, but it wasn’t too hard to come up with my own. I already had a delicious chocolate beer batter cupcake recipe in my archives, and a half dozen cream cheese frostings that would be perfect with chocolate and bacon. As for the maple-glazed bacon strips…they were so good I wanted to inhale the whole plate by itself. But I didn’t. Because I have iron will power. And because my thighs don’t need all that extra greasy, sticky pork fat. But mainly because crunchy-sweet, crumbled bacon bits are absolutely phenomenal in these cupcakes.
Now, are you ready to take the first bite? OK, close your eyes. Sink your teeth in. Savor the rich, chocolate-y moistness of the cupcake. Feel the creamy sweetness of the frosting wrap itself around your tongue. Revel in the sweet, fattiness of the candied bacon bits as they crunch between your teeth. Mmm mmm mmmmmmmm.
Still not convinced? Then head on over to my friend Sarah’s blog and check out her amazing, swoon-worthy double chocolate bacon cupcakes – I guarantee you’ll quickly change your tune. Remember: candied bacon + chocolate…it’s what’s for dinner. And dessert. And breakfast.
Chocolate Beer Batter Cupcakes with Maple Bacon Frosting
** Recipe makes approximately 24 cupcakes
- 1 cup Guinness
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 strips bacon
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 8oz block cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp candied bacon drippings
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a pot or large sauce pan, simmer the beer and butter on medium until butter is completely melted.
- Add cocoa powder and chocolate chips and stir until your mixture smooth. Take off heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir eggs and yogurt together until smooth. Slowly add chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Spoon your batter into your lined muffin cups, about 1/2 (or just a little bit over) full.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Turn oven up to 375, and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Lay your bacon strips across a baking rack and place the rack on the foil-lined baking sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, brush each strip of bacon with a layer of maple syrup.
- Bake for 10 minutes, basting strips again about half way into that time.
- Flip your strips over, baste, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Baste your bacon one last time, and stick them back in the oven for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While your cupcakes and bacon strips are cooling, start making your frosting. In a large bowl, beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth and well-incorporated.
- Add powdered sugar, maple syrup and bacon grease. Mix until smooth.
** Add more powdered sugar, as necessary, to achieve desired consistency.
- Spoon frosting into a piping bag, and frost each cupcake.
- Slice one piece of bacon into 1-inch strips and press one piece into each frosted cupcake.
- Crumble/chop up the rest of the candied bacon and sprinkle them on top of the cupcakes.
- Enjoy immediately, with a big glass of milk.