Happy Chinese Lunar New Year, everyone! I wanted to make something special in honor of the holiday, but I haven’t had much time to cook lately. If I get a chance, I might put together a post featuring some of my favorite Asian recipes. But not today.
Today I want to talk to you about pie. Specifically, a luscious, creamy pie loaded with strawberries, drizzled with chocolate, on a sweet graham cracker crust. A pie that’s so rich, so decadent, yet somehow so light that every bite just melts in your mouth. Mmmmmm.
Now, I know I tend to get really gushy and poetic every time I talk about desserts, but trust me when I say that this is a really good pie. If you like peaches & cream, strawberries & cream, or any other fruit & cream combo, you’ll love this. And once you take the first bite you’ll find that you can’t put your fork down until every last crumb is gone.
It’s scary how easy this is to eat, but it’s OK because if you think about it a certain way, this pie is actually sort of healthy. ‘Cuz…um…there’s fruit…there’s dairy…uhhh…graham crackers are a healthy snack, and…I hear chocolate is good for your heart. So there you go! Every slice you eat is an investment towards your overall health! Just don’t eat the whole pie in one siting. Trust me, you’ll be tempted to.
Coincidentally, the last time I made this pie was two years ago, for a dinner party celebrating both Chinese New Year and Valentine’s Day. The fact that I unconsciously decided to make strawberries & cream pie again this year, on the same holiday, is very fitting and kind of cool in a trippy sort of way, don’t you think?
Happy Year of the Water Dragon, everyone! May your year be full of good fortune and prosperity.
Thanks for reading Just Putzing Around the Kitchen! To stay up-to-date on what I’ve got going on in the kitchen and what’s coming next on the blog, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or Pinterest, or subscribe via e-mail (in the sidebar) to get new recipes sent directly to your inbox.
(Psst…check out my latest individual-serving version of this pie)
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (About 9 full/long crackers -- just throw them in a gallon bag, zip, and crush with a rolling pin.)
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 8oz blocks of cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups heavy cream + 1 tbsp
- ⅔ cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 carton strawberries, sliced into thirds or halves
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a small bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs and melted butter until a crumbly, moist mixture forms.
- Gently but firmly press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom/sides of a pie dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool completely. (This is the only baking that you need to do for this recipe, so don't forget to turn the oven off!)
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixture to beat your cream until it holds firm peaks. Set aside.
- In a separate, larger bowl, mix cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Fold about ⅓ of the whipped cream into your cream cheese mixture to lighten it, then add the rest. Gently fold until evenly incorporated and smooth.
- Spoon filling into your cooled pie crust, and spread it out in an even layer.
- Layer sliced strawberries in an overlapping rows around the top of the cream.
- Melt chocolate + 1 tbsp cream, and stir until smooth and liquid. Drizzle melted chocolate over the top of the strawberries.
- Stick the pie in the fridge for a few hours to allow the creamy filling to firm up.
- Slice and serve immediately. Enjoy! (FYI, strawberries go fast, so this won't keep very long. Try to eat everything within 3-5 days.)
(Adapted from Crumbly Cookie’s recipe)