Continuing my tradition of making adorable, spooktacular Halloween treats, I present you…apple pie mummy slices. Yup. Apple slices seasoned with sugar and cinnamon, then individually wrapped with thin strips of pie crust. So cute, so delicious, and so easy to eat. Seriously, these things are two, maybe three bites at most – you eat one, reach for another, and the next thing you know the whole plate is gone. If you like apple pie, these are the treats for you.
And, these mummified pie slices are incredibly easy to make, especially if you use pre-made pie crust. A little tedious, since you have to slice the pie crust into thin strips and then individually wrap each piece of apple, but definitely not hard. In fact, I bet this would be a fun treat to make with your kids. I, unfortunately don’t have kids – I have a Dan, and Dan has been sucked into the vortex known as the World Series, so he’s not at all interested in making pie. As we speak, he is on video chat with four college buds, all watching and yelling about the game. Boys…[shakes head]
Happy Halloween, everyone! Go Sox.
- 1 store-bought pie crust
- 3 apples, peeled and cored (I used Gala)
- ⅛ cup brown sugar
- ⅛ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Raisins or mini chocolate chips (for the eyes)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine sugars and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl. Mix until ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Slice each apple into 8 pieces. Slice off the ends of each apple slice so that your mummies can stand.
- Throw apple slices into the cinnamon-sugar bowl. Toss to coat each slice with spice.
- Add lemon juice. Toss to coat.
- Roll out your pie crust. Slice into thin strips, about ¼-1/3 inch.
- Individually wrap each slice of apple with 2-3 strips of pie dough. No fancy wrapping necessary, just make sure to leave a gap for the little "face"
- Place wrapped apple slices on a greased baking sheet, spaced 1 inch apart. Sprinkle with more cinnamon, if desired.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until your pie crust is golden brown and your apples are juicy/easy to pierce.
- While your mummies are still warm, insert two mini chocolate chips or raisins into the "face" area to make "eyes." (Or you can dip a toothpick in melted chocolate and "dot" in the eyes.)
- Cool for a few minutes, then enjoy!
(Adapted from Evil Shenanigans’ recipe)
Thats perfect for Halloween! so creative:)