Strawberries and Cream Pie

January 22, 2012

Happy Chinese Lunar New Year, everyone! I wanted to make something special in honor of the holiday, but I haven’t had much time to cook lately. If I get a chance, I might put together a post featuring some of my favorite Asian recipes. But not today.

Today I want to talk to you about pie. Specifically, a luscious, creamy pie loaded with strawberries, drizzled with chocolate, on a sweet graham cracker crust. A pie that’s so rich, so decadent, yet somehow so light that every bite just melts in your mouth.  Mmmmmm.

Now, I know I tend to get really gushy and poetic every time I talk about desserts, but trust me when I say that this is a really good pie. If you like peaches & cream, strawberries & cream, or any other fruit & cream combo, you’ll love this. And once you take the first bite you’ll find that you can’t put your fork down until every last crumb is gone.

It’s scary how easy this is to eat, but it’s OK because if you think about it a certain way, this pie is actually sort of healthy. ‘Cuz…um…there’s fruit…there’s dairy…uhhh…graham crackers are a healthy snack, and…I hear chocolate is good for your heart. So there you go! Every slice you eat is an investment towards your overall health! Just don’t eat the whole pie in one siting. Trust me, you’ll be tempted to.

Coincidentally, the last time I made this pie was two years ago, for a dinner party celebrating both Chinese New Year and Valentine’s Day. The fact that I unconsciously decided to make strawberries & cream pie again this year, on the same holiday, is very fitting and kind of cool in a trippy sort of way, don’t you think?

Happy Year of the Water Dragon, everyone! May your year be full of good fortune and prosperity.

117 Comments

1. beti says:

I do like peaches and cream or strawberries and cream I mean, who doesn’t? it’s the best and this pied looks so fluffy and I love all your desserts!

2. 1cook says:

This will be my Valentine day pie! Hubby loves strawberries.

3. Mmm. This looks soo good. I love cream pies like this!

• justputzing says:

Thanks! Me too — I think it’s because they’re less guilt-inducing than cheesecake, but just as delicious.

4. Megan says:

I made this tonight and it was INSANE I used a pre made pie crust and had a ton of extra filling so I made some red velvet cake mix and made sort of red velvet whoopee pies with the extra filling. Big hit. Loves it! <3

• justputzing says:

I’m so glad you liked it! Red velvet whoopie pies = genius idea for using up the extra filling. I’m definitely going to have to try that!

5. Rita says:

Congratulations on the move; i have been thinking about it bit still too chicken; that pie looks wonderful.
    Rita

6. This pie looks awesome! I feel compelled to feature you in my Friday Food Fetish roundup and on Pinterest. Let me know if you have any objections and keep the amazing food coming…

7. This looks so simple and decadent. I can’t wait to try it.

And it’s always an added bonus when you only have to bake the crust!

8. Strawberries are on sale this week so I can’t wait to try this recipe! I’m lazy though, so I’m planning to use pre-made graham cracker pie crusts. That’s what I do with my cheesecakes and it works just fine!

• justputzing says:

Great idea! Pre-made pie crusts are just as delicious, and you can enjoy your pie much faster if you’re not grinding up your own graham crackers :) FYI, if you’re using store-bought graham cracker crusts, you might want to consider halving the cream filling recipe. Those crusts tend to be much more shallow than crusts that come out of regular pie dishes. Although, if you do make the full recipe, you’ll have plenty of yummy cream filling to put on other stuff. Win-win!

9. Jacqueline says:

I would have doubled the recipe too! Looks wonderful and so luscious!

10. joann says:

I wonder how long this will keep in the refrigerator? Do you think this is okay to make a day ahead? I am thinking of making this very soon, but could maybe save some time by making it a day before. Thanks!

• justputzing says:

Oh yeah, you can definitely make this a day before you serve. It’s best fresh though so try not to keep it in the fridge longer than a week or the berries will get a little soggy. Good luck! Hope you like it :)

11. Philip Clark says:

Tasty idea, and I wonder if it would work with a pastry shell instead of graham? I will probably be able to let all know soon, as my 11 y.o. loves him some strawberries!

• justputzing says:

I bet a pastry shell would work great! I mainly went with a graham cracker crust because I had cheesecake on the brain, and the crust is always my fav part (I eat all my slices backwards!). Let me know how the pastry shell version works out for you though — hope your son likes it!

12. Hilary says:

This looks DELICIOUS!!! Definitely on my I NEED TO MAKE list when strawberries are in season :)

• justputzing says:

Thank you! I’m definitely going to have to make this again myself when strawberries come back in season.

13. Julia says:

I don’t think that’s toooo trippy, especially since this pie looks AMAZING! It only makes sense that you’d make it again for a special occasion.

14. Seneca says:

This looks delicious and SO easy to make! I can’t wait to make it for Easter. BTW, your blog name is so perfect! It’s exactly what I would have called a food blog if I’d ever started one! Way to be :)

• justputzing says:

Thanks! Let me know how it turns out for you. And, you should start a food blog – it’s never too late to start one! ;)

15. Steph says:

Seriously DELICIOUS! And so easy! Leftovers kept in the fridge beautifully for almost 3 days.

16. Jami J says:

I just made this and linked my readers to this post. My little guy and I tried some of the filling and absolutely love it! I’m sure the final product with be just as scrumptious as the taste test :D Thanks so much for sharing!

• justputzing says:

Thanks for reading! I’m glad the filling was a hit with your family — you’re right, it would be fantastic by itself as a fruit dip. Hell, I’d just eat it with a spoon like your little guy if I could get away with it!

17. Jan says:

Has anyone used cool whip instead of whipping cream?

• justputzing says:

I’ve never tried using cool whip, but it’s basically the same thing. Just remember that 1 cup of liquid cream = 2 cups whipped cream.

18. Rachel Booth says:

Found your blog via Pinterest. I made this pie for my hubby and I for our anniversary and we LOVED it. Am already planning on making it again this weekend for some out of town guests. Going to be a family favorite for years! So delicious!!

19. Meleah says:

I found this via Pinterest, and boy, I am ever happy I did!! This pie is sinfully amazing! I made it last week for a couple of girlfriends, and every one raved about it! I’m so happy I found your blog, and thank you for sharing this pie!! Definitely one of my all-time faves!!!

20. Stacia says:

Just want to verify that the sugar is 2/3s of a cup, right? Your recipe doesn’t say ‘cup’ so I’m just checking. It looks delish and I’ll be making it soon!

21. Crystal Christie says:

This was so delicious, best pie ever! I’m always asked to make this one now,and its always a hit :)

22. JT says:

I’ve had this recipe saved for several months and finally made it for Easter. I cheated a little and used 8 oz whipped cream cheese + 8 oz lite Cool Whip because my store was out of heavy cream and I never can get it to set anyway. But the pie was excellent– my family ate it up and many asked for the recipe. I stirred some chopped strawberries and chocolate chips right into the filling in addition to the sliced berries and chocolate glaze on top. Thanks for the recipe. I have a feeling I’ll make it again soon!

• justputzing says:

Mmm, stirring berries and chocolate chips into the filling sounds like a great idea! I’ll have to try that next time.

23. RAnn says:

I do this in a 13×9 pan, using the graham cracker crust recipe on the box (doubled). Instead of the strawberries, I use blueberry pie filling, and I freeze it.

24. [...] bite just melts in your mouth.” This is how Just Putzing Around the Kitchen describes their Strawberries and Cream Pie. And let me tell you, from the list of the ingredients, I know this will be one of those pies where [...]

25. Susan Paulson says:

Just made this as written. Looks so good – bringing it to family this afternoon. I may try it next time with oreo cookie crust.

• justputzing says:

Awesome, hope your family likes it! I think an Oreo cookie crust would be delicious with the strawberries & cream.

26. [...] & Cream Pie Recipe Posted on May 7, 2012 by Jennifer {photo source} The boys and I went to pick strawberries again the other day but the fields were closed. [...]

27. Kate S. says:

I wish I’d seen this a week ago! I had my heart set on a Strawberries and Cream Pie and didn’t have much luck finding a decent recipe on the web or in my cookbooks. I settled for a Paula Dean recipe with a creamy custard base that never set up properly–but this! Now this looks like the pie of my dreams. I’ll have to try it soon.

• justputzing says:

Well, there’s no time like the present to make one more Strawberries and Cream pie ;) Get on it! You won’t regret it, I promise.

28. Marie Bindrup says:

We love this recipe in our family. I like yours better since it doesn’t use cool whip (sans hydrogenated oil). We also love ours with blueberries. Thanks!

• justputzing says:

Thank YOU :) I’ve been meaning to do a blueberry version of this pie, so I’m glad to hear that it’s delicious!

29. [...] Strawberries and Cream Pie (from Just Putzing Around the Kitchen) [...]

30. Matmedmera says:

Very tasty cake. I love strawberries

31. What topping would you put on it if you used peaches? We just picked a ton of fresh peaches and this pie sounds perfect for some!

• justputzing says:

Oh man, fresh peaches would be so great with this! If I were using peaches I would probably just eat it plain w/o a topping, or do a light sprinkling of almond slivers and crunchy streusel-like bits.

32. Lisa says:

I made this for a Fourth of July BBQ and wow, it was such a big hit! NO leftovers, that’s for sure. I will be making this again tonight for my co-workers. Keep the recipes coming!

33. Jill says:

How Yumm made for my girls morning tea what a hit last for 3 -5 days you are kidding gone gone gone in one sitting

34. Debbie Mullins says:

Doesn’t the graham cracker crust have some sugar in the recipe? Can’t wait to make this!

• justputzing says:

You can add sugar, yeah, but I personally find that the graham crackers themselves are sweet enough that you don’t need it :)

35. Sophie Miller says:

Hey I made this pie and it all worked out really well except for the chocolate on the top of the strawberries , it went on well and then I put it in the fridge and when I went back to it all the chocolate had melted down , it’s like there was too much moisture in the strawberries so the choc couldn’t set? Anyone else find this or am I just doing something completely wrong? advice please :)

• justputzing says:

Hmm, unfortunately I’m not really sure what went wrong with the chocolate! Sometimes when I make chocolate dipped strawberries and I put too much cream in my chocolate, I find that it doesn’t hold onto the berries as well, especially if the berries are still damp. That could be the problem here. I know some people have just melted chocolate by itself in the microwave and drizzled that on with no problems. Give that a try? Hope it was delicious anyway!

36. Nickol says:

Totally novice cook here, and I made this tonight and OH MA GAWD it was super glorious! Everything worked out perfectly. Used the pre made crusts and it filled two of those!!! One for a work party and one for me to eat alone and ashamed! Haha! Thanks!

• justputzing says:

There is no shame in eating an entire pie by yourself! God knows I’ve done it…more than once…So glad the recipe turned out well for you though! Come back again for more recipes in the future :)

37. Stephanie says:

Made this for a group dinner tonight. It was wonderful! I used a little less sugar in the filling because I do not like things too sweet. But other than that I followed the recipe and it was a huge hit.

38. Dmom says:

I just made this last night.I don’t have a deep pie pan so I made one with a store bought crust and another with the homemade crust.they both came out beautifully,though the homemade crust makes it look more homemade and nice looking.I didn’t do the chocolate on top because I really messed up with melting the chips. Next time I am going to buy a bar of ghirardelli chocolate or some other high end bar and melt that because I’ve done that before with great results. this is my new favorite dessert,it tastes fabulous,I posted a picture to facebook and everyone wants a slice :)

39. kristel says:

What size of pie pan did you use?

40. gayle Broad says:

I can’t find Graham crackers here,is there a substitute please.We have sweet biscuits like Nice, Granita, brandy snaps,milk arrowroot etc ? Thank you

• justputzing says:

I think pretty much any kind of crunchy cookie can be used as a substitute. I’m not familiar with the items you suggested, but if they are sweet, crunchy cookies, I think you can process them into crumbs that would be used to make the pie crust. Hope that helps!

41. Erin says:

This is the BEST. EVER. Thank you so much for this recipe! I make it every year for my dad’s birthday, and at least 1 time during the summer :)

42. Nora says:

I just made this pie! It was delicious! Good call on doubling the recipe!

43. Mandy says:

Not able to print this from the “print this” selection, but it’s ok, i’ll get it anyway, just letting u know for other ppl who aren’t so computer savvy:)

• justputzing says:

Thanks! I think I just fixed the problem. Let me know if you’re still having problems printing posts!

44. Ericka Ledesma says:

This is excellent. Stored extra filling to use for dipping strawberries. I added chopped pecans ontop of mine. My 1 and 2 year old boys think this is the greatest.

45. Tanya says:

Hello, I’m not an experienced cook, so what does it mean to mix the heavy cream until it peaks? I mixed for a while but it never looked all that different. I had way too much heavy cream( it was very soupy) for my cream cheese mixture and I had to pour some out. The pie still turned out great but I think I’m missing something on the whipping cream. It is the heavy cream in the carton, right?

• justputzing says:

Yup, the heavy cream in the carton is exactly right. When making homemade whipped cream, you have to beat/mix your heavy cream vigorously and quickly until the mixture goes from liquid to thick cream. Usually, I use an electric mixer b/c my arm gets too tired when I try to whip by hand. Your whipped cream is ready if the mixture is thick enough that when you lift your beaters out of the mixture, the cream pulls upward and you get little peaks/mountains in your cream. It sounds like you didn’t whip your cream enough if it was still soupy when you tried to mix it into your cream cheese. You should have had really thick whipped cream, like Cool-Whip. Actually, if you want to try making this again and saving yourself some time, you can just substitute Cool-Whip for homemade whipped cream. It’ll taste just as good! Hope this helps.

46. Anne says:

This is a wonderful recipe that is easy and quick. I prepared exactly as the recipe appears. I think this is a nes family favorite!

47. Anna says:

Which kind of brand of heavy cream would you recomend to me? I’m from México and i don’t really know which one i can use.

• justputzing says:

I think you can pretty much use any brand, but my local store usually carries Hood or Lucerne. Hope that helps!

48. PilatesNinja says:

Just made this pie and licked the bowl clean! Can’t wait for a slice (or 3). Thank you for a recipe that is exactly spot on and that actually is as easy as it is described. So many Pinterest recipes disappoint and don’t come out at all as described, but this one delivers.

49. Maggi says:

This is such a great recipe and your presentation is just superb.

50. Sally says:

I made two of these and brought one for uou Mother’s Day celebration! It was a success!
    I am so glad I kept the second one at home….

51. Jeanette says:

I didn’t find heavy cream can I use whipping cream

52. Pam says:

Do you think bananas would work?

• justputzing says:

Absolutely! The pie is super creamy though, so tart/sweet berries are a really good compliment to cut some of the richness.

53. this looks so good gotta try it

54. Lisa says:

I am going to make this on Thursday AM ……..with blueberries added…..it will be my contribution for July 4th festivities!

55. Debbie says:

I used the 9 oz Keebler crust and it held all of the filling. Can’t wait to taste it this evening! (ok, ok, I tasted the filling when I was making it – delish!)

56. Laura says:

Do you think I could make this ahead of time and freeze t?

• justputzing says:

Definitely! Maybe not too far ahead of time though? Not sure what being in the freezer longer than a week would do to the strawberries.