Now that the Super Bowl is behind us (wooo, Patriots!), we can finally stop putting all our energy into churning out game day munchies (until March Madness, anyway). It’s time, instead, to turn our culinary attentions to Valentine’s Day – otherwise known as everyone’s favorite excuse to eat chocolate and decadent desserts.
This is the only time of year when it’s acceptable to eat a billion fruit-filled/chocolate-heavy treats (because we’re doing it in the name of love), and I plan to help you take advantage of that this week. Starting with these Strawberry Cream Pie Cups.
Do they look familiar? They should, since they’re an adaptation of one of the most popular recipes on my blog – the Strawberries and Cream Pie. Long-time readers might remember that the last time I made the pie was a few years ago, on a whim for Chinese New Year (what?), while I was bored and unemployed. For whatever reason, it’s become one of the most pinned/commented on things on my blog. Particularly in the summer, when we’re deep into strawberry season, but also in February, when Valentine’s Day rolls around.
I’ve actually been meaning to recreate this pie for a while now, since the pictures are a little outdated. But, it’s a little hard to justify making a whole pie for just two people. Especially when said pie is full of whipped cream and cream cheese and buttery graham crackers, and drizzled with melted chocolate. Delicious, yes. Good for my waistline, no.
Since we have a lot of weddings to attend this year (including one Hawaii…so excited!), and I plan to wear short/form-fitting dresses for most of them, I can’t actually indulge in Valentine’s Day treats the way I’d like to this year. A girl’s gotta watch her figure, you know? Especially when said figure is going to be spending time in summer clothes/dresses/bathing suits in the near future. Working out can only do so much…
So, instead of recreating my Strawberries and Cream Pie in its full glory for today’s post, I decided to go a slightly more figure-friendly route. I halved the recipe, used less sugar, swapped out some of the full-fat ingredients, left out the chocolate, and pre-portioned the whole thing as single-servings.
Don’t worry though, my tweaking didn’t make this treat any less delicious. It’s still luscious and creamy, fruity and sweet, with a nice crunchy graham cracker crust. But now it has the added benefit of being slightly less guilt-inducing. Load it up with sliced strawberries, and you can maybe argue that it’s good for you.
Just kidding, that doesn’t make any sense. But it’s cool, it’s a viable Valentine’s Day excuse!
$50 VISA GIFT CARD GIVEAWAY
In the spirit of love and camaraderie, I’ve decided to give two lucky (and randomly selected) readers $50 Visa gift cards. Just in time to give your loved ones something nice for Valentine’s Day! Or, to treat yo’self. Whatever!
- To enter the giveaway, leave me a comment telling me what delicious treat you want to eat on Valentine’s Day.
- To earn up to FIVE bonus entries, do one (or all!) of the following and then come back and leave me separate comments below telling me what you did:
(1) Subscribe to my blog via email or RSS feed (if you are already subscribed, leave a comment saying that!).
(2) Like Just Putzing Around the Kitchen on Facebook.
(3) Follow Just Putzing Around the Kitchen on Twitter.
(4) Follow Just Putzing Around the Kitchen on Instagram.
(5) Pin any pic from this post onto Pinterest.
- Giveaway will end at midnight on Wednesday, February 11th. Winners will be notified by email. NOTE – if you do not respond to my email within 24 hours (with mailing address, etc., as necessary), I will randomly select another winner.
** Congratulations to our two giveaway winners – Norma and Ronald G.! **
- 1 cups graham cracker crumbs (About 7 full/long crackers -- just throw them in a gallon bag, zip, and crush with a rolling pin.)
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cups light whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup freeze dried strawberries, pureed into a fine powder
- ½ to 1 cup sliced strawberries (for garnish)
- In a small bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs and melted butter until a crumbly, moist mixture forms.
- Divide graham cracker mixture among 4 dishes/bowls/glasses. Gently but firmly press/pack the mixture down into the bottom of each glass. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixture to beat your cream until it holds firm peaks. Set aside.
- In a separate, larger bowl, mix cream cheese, vanilla, powdered dehydrated strawberries, and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Fold about ⅓ of the whipped cream into your cream cheese mixture to lighten it, then add the rest. Gently fold until evenly incorporated and smooth.
- Place filling into the fridge to chill for 15-30 minutes.
- Spoon filling into a piping bag with a large tip. Pipe the swirls of filling evenly into each glass, on top of the graham cracker mixture.
- Top with sliced strawberries. (Optional - you can also drizzle with melted chocolate if you really want to treat yourself)
- Chill strawberry cream pie cups in the fridge until ready to serve.