This post is inspired by our balcony garden, which is flourishing in the summer heat. Especially the apple mint. That sucker is spreading out and overrunning everything! It reminds me of a hydra — every time I snip off a sprig or two for cocktails, 10 more spring up. It’s starting to get out of hand. Anyone want to take some fresh mint off our hands? (I’m looking at you, Brad and Amy…)
Because I am spectacularly un-creative, the only thing that comes to mind when I see mint is a mojito. I guess you could say I’m always looking for an excuse to drink cocktails, but…I also figured the easiest and fastest way to use up a whole bunch of mint would be to infuse it into simple syrup and turn it into a delicious summer beverage.
Fortunately, mojitos are an incredibly versatile drink. Basic ingredients aside, you can pretty much throw whatever you want in there and you’ll get something delicious every time. Fresh berries are particularly wonderful, and they’re at their finest this time of year. We’ve been loving them in our post-work libations this year, and today’s batch of frozen, triple berry mojitos did not disappoint. Icy cold, with the perfect tangy-sweet balance (watch those seeds though!), they were the best drinks we’ve made all summer.
Triple Berry Frozen Mojitos
- 3 cups frozen mixed berries (My store-bought bag contained strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
- 2 trays ice
- 1 cup soda water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup dark rum
- 1/3 cup strawberry-infused rum (Optional — I just happened to have this lying around. You could just go with 1 cup total dark rum)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Large handful of mint leaves, rinsed and dried
- In a pot or sauce pan on medium-high heat, combine soda water and sugar, and simmer until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove sugar water from heat, and add mint leaves. Stir gently to lightly bruise leaves and allow mint to steep for 15-20-minutes.
- Remove wilted mint leaves, and pour cooled mint-infused syrup into your blender. Add frozen berries, rum, lime juice, and ice.
- Blend until mixture is thick and smooth.
** Add more soda water as necessary to achieve desired texture.
- Enjoy immediately!